The present church was built in 1896/97. The sanctuary is a fine example of late Victorian Free Church architecture and is set within the town’s central Conservation Area. The Conservation Area includes The Old Hall, a 15th Century Manor House, and All Saints Parish Church which we adjoin.
The church was erected as a memorial to John Robinson, sometimes known as “the Pastor to the Pilgrim Fathers.” He was born nearby at Sturton-le-Steeple in 1575 or 1576. He was hugely instrumental in preparing for the voyage of the Pilgrim Fathers, a group of Separatists, who settled in Plymouth Colony in the U.S. in 1620. Click this link to read a fuller history of the church.
THE FORSTER AND ANDREWS ORGAN
A particular feature of the sanctuary is the two manual pipe organ built by Forster and Andrews. In recognition of its national heritage importance, the organ has been awarded an Historic Organ Certificate.
Our church building is available for rental. The main church (sanctuary) seats up to 100, and has full P.A. system, and projection facilities (on request). The sanctuary is suitable for meetings, art displays, exhibitions and dramatic performances. The cafe area seats around 30 and is ideal for smaller group meetings. Both have a hearing loop. Please note there is no wifi. There is a fully equiped kitchen and disabled facilities. The building is fully accessible. For enquiries, please contact the Church Secretary, Ms. Susan Bee (E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org).
Our church has great potential as an arts venue for dramatic or musical performances, art exhibitions etc. We have been delighted to hold plays performed by KISMET in recent years.
In recent years we have undertaken a comprehensive redevelopment programme. Generous grants from WREN, the United Reformed Church East Midlands Synod and West Lindsey District Council have enabled us to create a multi-purpose space suitable for wider community use. A new kitchen and toilets (including an accessible toilet) have been installed in the re-designed sanctuary/porch area. Both the lighting and audio system in the sanctuary have been upgraded. The addition of two multimedia screens has allowed audio visual display capability.
A particular focus as we approach 2020 is the commemoration of the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower's voyage to America. CreateInn of Retford have designed and installed an all-age exhibition in our new Mayflower Room which tells the Pilgrims' story.
We are open twice a week for Coffee Mornings, on Tuesday (9.30 a.m. - 12 noon) and Saturday (10 a.m. - 12 noon). Our coffee mornings are well-supported by the wider community and over the years many friendships have been established.
Why not join us for a cuppa if you are in town ? (Entrance on Church Street).
Our Friendship Group numbers about eight people who meet on one evening each month. They enjoy a variety of social events together and are pleased to welcome new people.
As a church we support and raise funds for Commitment for Life. Commitment for Life is a United Reformed Church programme which enables local congregations to participate in actions for global justice by praying, learning and giving towards work in the countries of Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories, and Central America (Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Guatamala).
We also support The Barnabas Fund in their work with persecuted Christians in Syria.